Forty Hall in Enfield, North London, has been brought back to life in a project funded by Enfield Council with a significant grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Hall was built by former Lord Mayor of London, Sir Nicholas Rainton in 1632 and stands on the edge of the capital city. Forty Hall is Grade 1 listed and is a good architectural example of a building on the cusp between the medieval and modern style. The Hall is important in helping to understand the growth of the capital city and the lifestyle of the merchant classes.
The project began on site in February 2011 and was completed in March 2012. The Hall officially opened to the public on 30th June 2012. The main contractor was R G Carter Builder and the architect was Thomas Ford and Partners.
The main structural works involved the insertion of a new access lift, reconfiguring a new substantial oak staircase, construction of the new glazed covered courtyard and general alterations. A number of repairs were also necessary to decayed structural elements as well as significant strengthening of original beams using flitch plates to bring rooms with dangerously deflected floors back into re-use.