Gainsford End Windmill is a Grade II Listed Red Brick Tower Mill built in 1869 and is 5 storeys high. Built on the site of an earlier Mill, the Mill had been derelict from late 1960’s to early 1970’s at which time the cap was lost.
Our involvement was to renovate the Mill, which involved reinstating the floors and cap, whilst retaining the surviving machinery and incorporating it in its original position as part of the renovation works. The Mill House was then linked via a glazed structure to a new residential dwelling, consisting of two storeys with a basement.
The Mill was repaired with a traditional lime mortar, the floor beams were repaired, and where necessary, replaced with pitch pine. The new cap consisted of a series of timber ribs with two layers of 125 spruce boards over the ribs, which was then finished in a GRP fibreglass waterproof membrane.
The new dwelling was constructed in reinforced cavity wall construction, with a beam and block suspended ground floor. The two storey dwelling above, constructed in timber frame, with pitched slate roof and weatherboard clad externally.
The property itself has 5 bedrooms, and approximately 1 acre of surrounding land.