This grade II* Listed Building, designed by George Aitchison and constructed between 1865 & 1896, is a popular museum in west London. Originally built as Victorian artist, Lord Leighton’s studio and house, it features opulent interiors, notably the Arab Hall, Staircase Hall and Narcissus Hall.
The building required careful refurbishment and the project brief was to bring the building back to Lord Leighton’s original vision.
The Morton Partnership was appointed to provide structural engineering services for this interesting project.
Leighton House’s restoration included the rebuilding of the parapet ziggurats and introduction of new services along with the structural assessment of the existing floors and roof structure.
The design solution for each of these elements required careful consideration and sensitive structural interventions which were introduced with negligible impact on the visual appearance of the building.