Stowe House was built in the 1680’s and remodelled throughout the 18th century by some of the leading Architects of the period including Vanburgh, Gibbs, Kent, Adam and Soane.
Our involvement commenced in 1999 with Phase 1 repairs to North Front and Colonnades including structural repairs to stonework and the roof structure of the Colonnades.
Phase 2 was the main mansion roofs, the south front , the associated east and west return walls and the repairs to the Marble Saloon. This included a 34m clear span temporary roof and associated scaffold structure which was pre-designed prior to tender with significant input from ourselves. The 1920’s added roof with associated cast iron water tanks were carefully removed and the original roof structure and copper cladding was reinstated.
Phase 3 works was to the East and West Pavilions to the Main Mansion including reforming the roof over the Library, detailed conservation of the interior below, and extensive stone repairs and re-roofing.
In addition to the works for the Preservation Trust, we have assisted the tenant, Stowe School, in numerous projects to the buildings on the site, such as the Kitchen refurbishment (£1ml), Cobham House repairs etc.