Cambridge Botanic Gardens
The teak framed glasshouses in the Botanic Gardens were originally constructed in the 1930’s and underwent a substantial refurbishment project managed by The Morton Partnership.
The University of Cambridge Botanic Gardens comprises of a whole range of glasshouses and we undertook a three phase rolling project to fully refurbish these structures. Current restrictions on the use of teak meant that replacement material was sourced from demolished buildings within this country. In many locations the replacement teak was in fact older than the material it was replacing.
The glasshouses were carefully dismantled and all of the decayed elements of the timber were cut out and replaced with reclaimed teak members. The glazing was replaced and the brick plinths were all repaired and repointed.
Lighting and interpretation within these spaces were also upgraded as part of the project.
Client: University of Cambridge