Hadlow Tower is a folly designed and built by Architect George Ledwell Taylor between 1835 & 1838 in a Gothic Revival style and remodelled in 1840. In the 1980’s the tower was affected by strong winds which resulted in the need to carefully dismantle the unsafe lantern at the head of the tower.
The remaining tower was in a state of disrepair and the Vivat Trust secured Heritage Lottery funding with the help of the Local Authority to restore the tower to its former height and bring it into use as a rental accommodation. The project involved a full programme of repair to the original fabric that included Roman cement decorative elements externally, as well as the construction of a new internal steel frame that would allow the tower to be reconstructed to the full original height, in a design to match the original.
A staircase was included within the frame to permit members of the public to climb the full height of the tower. A DDA compliant access lift was also included to all of the habitable lower level areas.
Client: The Vivat Trust
Architect: Thomas Ford & Partners